Tuesday 4 May 2010

Performance Management

Performances management is vital because a business needs to manage the performances of its employees effectively if it is to remain competitive, the methods that businesses use to manage the performance of their employees are:

Performances reviews including appraisals

Self-evaluation

Peer –evaluation

Target setting for individuals and groups

Measuring individuals and group output/production

It has been said that training and development may enhance the performances of individual and groups of employees.

The reason why it is important to measure performances is because it will increase the involvement and motivation.

The benefits of measuring performances are the set clear expectations of what needs to be achieved, individual targets will be part of company targets so all employees working towards goals of company, increased communication and personal development.

Performances appraisal is a process of evaluating performances systematically and of providing feedback on which performances adjustments can be made. Performance appraisal works on the basis of the following equation:

Desired performance- Actual performances=Need for action.

The major purposes of performance appraisal are to define the specific job criteria against which performances will be measured, Measure past job performances accurately.

The most common stages of staff appraisal are that the line manager meets the jobholder and discuss what is expected and that the expectations are agreed from both parties. The outcome of the meeting is recorded and usually signed by both parties, the job holder performs the job for a period of six months or a year then at the end of the period the job holder and line manager review this again and draw up a new action plan.

As I work in House of Fraser I had my first appraisal after my 3 months probation period and now I have worked with them for over 2 years.

The main reasons for an appraisal to be carried out was to identify any training that might be needed, to make personal/business objectives clear, identify any potential promotion, to review salaries and to identify strengths or employees, also to increase motivation in the workplace and overall to develop the relations between the employee and staff or even to update job description.

The appraisal that I had at work consists of the following kind of information:

My understanding of the main duties and responsibilities I should be carrying out

Has the past year been good/bad/satisfactory or otherwise for you, and why?

What do you consider to be your most important achievements of the past year?

What elements of your job do you find most difficult?

What do you like and dislike about working for this organisation?

What elements of your job interest you the most, and least?

What action could be taken to improve your performance in your current position by you, and your boss?

At the end I had to write a paragraph about how I feel overall about the organisation and my manager and then it was read by both parties and signed away.

I felt that this was very effective mainly because it was nice to sit down and talk to my manager about what I feel could either do or might need help with, we had a better relationship where she understood me and I understood her, I was highly satisfied with everything discussed and felt motivate to achieve my new set goals and challenges.

From the Times Mentoring article link below the skills that I think should be required to be an effective mentor are the following:

Article from The Times on mentoring

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3778514.ece

It is to give help and support in a non-threatening way, in a manner that staff will appreciate and value and that will empower will help them to move forward with confidence towards what they want to achieve.

Mentors should be highly concerned with creating an informal environment in which the staffs feel encouraged to discuss their needs and circumstances openly and in confidence with someone who is already positive.

Someone from my social life who has been a mentor to me is my 2 older brothers as they have guided me through life through good times and bad times they have provided me with support and confidences to stand up and make a change in my life this has had a major impact on my life as I rely highly on them, They gave me the motivation when I was feeling unmotivated they gave me the courage to take on new challenges that I felt I could never achieve therefore I am very grateful to have such amazing mentors in my life who have till this day guided me in everyway to succeed in every life time opportunity.

Conclusion

I have come to a conclusion that If you want to keep your business to succeed and to do well it is important that you carry out regular evaluations on the performance of your employees who are a key asset to any organisation.

Reference:

Mullins, L. (2007) Management and Organizational Behaviour. 8th Ed.

Lecture notes Week 21

http://www.bizhelp24.com/personal

The article from The Times on mentoring

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3778514.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment